Over the warm months, MyItchyBoy has been lucky enough to try out a DermaTherapy® sheet and pillowcase sent to him by Espère Healthcare Ltd.
They are made of a special fabric specially designed to help with eczema and other sensitive skin problems.
On the hot nights we’ve had during summer, the sheet has helped keep MyItchyBoy noticeably cooler than his 100% cotton sheets. That’s been a great bonus as he is always super itchy if he gets hot and sweaty. I also found the sheet doesn’t get so smeared with cream and feel sticky the way his normal sheets get after one night.
Using the pillowcase has definitely made a difference to MyItchyBoy’s itchy head at night. I think that the fabric feeling cooler has really helped with that. His head is difficult to keep moisturised in the way his skin can be, so anything that helps is a real bonus.
For us, the main benefits have been:
- On hot nights, I definitely noticed a difference. MyItchyBoy woke up a lot less and was less itchy using the sheet
- Both the sheet and pillowcase dry really quickly after washing so can be washed and dried in the same day
- The sheet takes up less room than a cotton one, so great if space is tight for travelling
- The fabric doesn’t get so sticky with cream as MyItchyBoy’s normal cotton ones so lasts longer on the bed
- The sheet and pillowcase are both white. For a fussy child (or parent) the non-matching pillowcase can be an issue. Also, any blood smears from scratched skin are more noticeable
- Both are made from a silky material. This is fine for the pillowcase, but if I don’t tuck MyItchyBoy’s cover down the side of the bed, it slides off the sheet onto the floor in the night. Several times.
Overall, for us, I have not noticed a big enough difference in MyItchyBoy’s skin after using the sheet to consider investing in more of them. However, both will continue to be used all the time and I shall definitely ensure that next summer MyItchyBoy has the sheet on every warm night.
Starting at £58.95 for a single bed sheet, this is not a cheap product. However, if you suffer with night time itches, I think it is really worth a go.