Onion muffin recipe
This came out of a Twitter conversation this week. I have a great book called ‘Scones Muffins & Teatime Treats’* which has a good selection of sweet and savoury muffins. I have tried many of the recipes with dairy free butter, milk and egg replacer and found them to work well.
So, here is the surprisingly good onion muffin recipe. Enjoy!
Caramelised onion muffins -Dairy Free
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Total cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- 60g butter, chopped dairy free spread
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- Preheat oven to 210⁰C. Brush a 12 hole muffin tin with oil or melted butter.
- Heat oil in pan; cook onions and sugar, over medium heat, until onion becomes golden in colour and the sugar has dissolved. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the onion mixture and mix until all the onion is coated in the flour mixture.
- Beat egg and milk together. Gently fold into onion mixture all at once. (Do not over-beat.) Spoon into prepared muffin pans.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
I found that halving the mix and putting in mini muffin pans better – or using same amount and making 24 mini ones.
*‘Scones Muffins & Teatime Treats’ is a Family Circle® step-by-step book by Murdoch Books